GRACIA & LOUISE     FOLLOW     HELLO

Monday, June 30, 2008

A clutch of eggs.

Louisejennison_eggs3

{Does fifteen eggs quantify as a clutch? Watercolour and pencil drawing, Louise Jennison. (Please click to enlarge)}

Lottie (Sprink) today joins us and together we four bring you a clutch of eggs.

Eggs have such a smooth shape, immediately easy to visualise in the mind’s eye be it a freshly laid egg, a speckled egg seen in a bird's nest, a diagram in a book on anatomy or one wrapped brightly in Easter foil or dyed red and placed centrally in a knot of bread. Eggs in many forms are what we bring you today, dear ones.

Thank you Lottie for playing along. We’re happy you could join us.

And now to officially begin. Here is Lottie's response.

Egg London
It might be natural to think that in the urban centre of a city like London a clutch of eggs would be hard to find. Mais au contraire mes amis, if you look, you will see that clutches abound.

Borough market feathery clutch

It seems like there are eggs everywhere at Borough Market where they arrive with feathers on and stand in regimented rows for saturday morning shoppers to cluck over as they fill their baskets with produce as local as London can muster.

Borough market eggs

And a little further afield, north of the River Thames on Exmouth Market, are clutches in other guises.  Moro, with its long zinc bar, wooden floor and unpretentious atmosphere, has eggs on the menu, disguised in a tortilla. This is hands down my favourite restaurant of all time and if you're ever in London a visit there will be long-remembered. Try the yoghurt and pistachio cake, you won't regret it.

Moro menu

A few doors down at Brindisa eggs are in abundance. The Almond and egg cake from Galicia sits temptingly on the counter, as does a platter of pasteis de nata alongside a copy of 1080 Recipes.

Brindisa almond and egg cake

This book contains 52 egg recipes and the foreword of the egg chapter recommends removing eggs from the fridge at least an hour before they are needed as this ensures that "whites will whisk stiffly, mayonnaise will come out better and so on". It also states that "a newly-laid egg is indigestible - wait at least 24 hours before eating it".

Brindisa pasteis de nata

Elsewhere, in town, Nigel Slater admitted recently in the Guardian that eggs are his bête noire, and as such they are scarce in his Kitchen Diaries, but, the generous man that he seems, he still offered up some seasonal egg recipes recently, pairing them with chervil, chives and parsley in an omelette and whisking burford brown yolks with oil to make mayonnaise.

My search for urban eggs took an unexpected turn when, whilst wandering around Clerkenwell, I heard a familiar but strangely out of place noise. Pausing to listen again and make sure I had really heard what I'd heard, I stood still and realised that yes, it was the crowing of a rooster. Following the noise lead me to a flash of tail feathers and I found this chap happily pecking around his owner's garden.

Proud rooster

I like to think that not far away was his hen and her very own clutch of eggs.

Tail feathers

Elainehaby_eggs1
{Sunday morning - poached or scrambled? Ink and pencil drawing, Elaine Haby.}

Louisejennison_eggs1
{Does twenty-four eggs quantify as a clutch? Watercolour and pencil drawing, Louise Jennison.}

Louisejennison_eggs2
{Does twenty-seven eggs quantify as a clutch? Watercolour and pencil drawing, Louise Jennison.}

Graciahaby_eggs3
{Looking but I can't for the life of me find my clutch of eggs, I. Collage, Gracia Haby.}

Graciahaby_eggs2
{Looking but I can't for the life of me find my clutch of eggs, II. Collage, Gracia Haby.}

Graciahaby_eggs1
{Looking but I can't for the life of me find my clutch of eggs, III. Collage, Gracia Haby.}

Graciahaby_eggs4
{Found! Collage, Gracia Haby.}

21 comments:

  1. Amazing eggs! What a nice collaboration of photos, drawings, collage, words, etc. I will be having an egg for breakfast tomorrow ;) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing eggs! What a nice collaboration of photos, drawings, collage, words, etc. I will be having an egg for breakfast tomorrow ;) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing eggs! What a nice collaboration of photos, drawings, collage, words, etc. I will be having an egg for breakfast tomorrow ;) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, sorry...i hit the wrong key and left three comments, instead of one. well, i guess you know i like eggs now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glorious eggs. i can't even begin to pick a favorite rendition of the clutch... all good. so good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo, I love this topic!! And I like the drawings and the bottom two collages a lot! Never thought of eggs as so inspiring but you truly inspire me today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a soft spot for all things egg. the watercolor and pencil drawings are so delicate, evocative of the very shell of the egg. and i just love the farm fresh eggs all lined up at the market. i wish i was there with my market bag in hand. wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, this has got to be the most perfect post ever. Love the various photos, paintings and collages - you guys are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't begin to tell you how much I am enjoying this new blog! What a delight!!! I've always loved how many delicious word combinations there are in our amazing language, and now you give beautiful visions to such feasts!!! Truly INSPIRING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me want to go on an egg scavenger hunt in Toronto. Lovely photos and illustrations!
    I thought of you last night when I went out for a walk: I found a murmuration of starlings gathered in the treetops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, so many eggs! You are a super inspiring bunch together x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't caught up for a while so it's with delight that I've now seen all the eggs, jewels and other truly beautiful work you've all been doing. Such a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new blog is lovely and your egg post
    reminds me of a quote by Z.Hurston..
    "the present was an egg laid by the past that
    had the future inside it's shell"...
    pamela

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi.. me again..
    to leave my address
    www.pamelahuntington.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. to think of walking through the air with all those eggs, hanging about my head--ooh... it arises a Conundrum of Concerns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a wonderful place this is...
    I am a word geek and lover of collections, and I think this is a great idea for a blog and I shall be adding you to my links...
    I think I mentioned
    a murder of crows,
    a caucus of crows,
    an alibi of crows,
    a hover of crows,
    a congress of crows,
    a storytelling of crows,
    a horde of crows,
    a muster of crows,
    a parcel of crows,
    a cowardice of crows,
    a cauldron of crows
    on my blog some months back so maybe you'd like it there :)
    Best wishes from Scotland
    RIma

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've been tagged to play a blog game!
    http://birdprint.blogspot.com/ for info.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have been gone a while....I hope that you are all well. I miss your art.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what larks.
    I am starting an artists' books typelist - but this effort gets a post all on its own over at R+W. Thanks for your magnificent work here, peeps.

    ReplyDelete