GRACIA & LOUISE     FOLLOW     HELLO

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Something new begins to take shape...

Skulk_of_foxes1_2
{Somewhere in Andalusia, three red foxes were holding court. Collage, Gracia Haby. (Click to enlarge)}

A quiver of arrows, a parcel of penguins, a trace of rabbits, a peal of bells, a vagary of impediments, a constellation of satellites, and a leash of greyhounds, I find there are more collective nouns than not to make the corners of the mouth curve upward.

A watch of nightingales, a sleuth of bears, and a charm of finches, they call up such imagery. A raft of sea otters, can you seem them? Squint a little if it helps. There on the horizon, see them now? They’re wearing neck scarves constructed from thin slithers of kelp. And they’re making their way across the water with all the ease and grace of Venetian gondola driver.

A mischief of mice, a cache of jewels, they sound so apt, so visual, and so enchanting.

Here in this spot that runs alongside High Up in the Trees, I shall post responses, be they visual or otherwise, to particular collective nouns, and each time I do so I shall be in good company. Along for the journey I have invited Elaine and Louise. From time to time I hope to be able to invite a guest or two to join us, responding to their collective noun in any way they choose.

Do stick around; I think we’re going to have fun.

G
collective noun n in grammar, a noun that denotes a number of individuals considered as one group.

31 comments:

  1. hello there! lets be blog pals...i heart foxes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea!
    We have a ton of crackin good Dutch ones too, including a 'beaver colony'. I have always pictured them dressed as Canadian pioneers cooking up sawdust-pancakes with maple syrup in a cosy log-cabin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A parcel of pinguins!!! That is my favorite one. I wonder how you would call a group of flamingos in English, or giraffes. I will be back here for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely new place, I'm looking forward to see what will happen here. The fox on the right in the header has a dragon look. It all looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a timely yet uncanny blog of yours, I have been thinking about a 'pack of wolves' just this morning (dropping an email soon). Looking forward to exciting new things happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ihis is interesting.I'm learning something too so I'll be back to check out your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure what happened there but my comment got posted under the name RISA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful!! A beautiful new space to visit. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great project and space, looking forward to reading more x

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am looking forward to this new project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool Gracia! This is going to be much fun to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like it is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! (I've always loved "a murmuring of sparrows.")

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice new place, I'll come around to see what you will be up to here :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hee! love it....
    you do know about this book yes?
    http://www.amazon.com/Exaltation-Larks-Ultimate-James-Lipton/dp/0140170960/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208464157&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your work G, so beautiful to look at and read every time. Always thought a murder of crows was a good one!
    Have a beautiful weekend :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. love, love this first response to collective nouns! can't wait to see what is to come in this space. xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. gracia, what a lovely first post on this new blog/project. your collage and words are enchanting indeed. look forward to the first collective noun responses! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gracia, what an exciting new blog this is. I love collective nouns and will be watching with delight I'm sure, as you add and illustrate. Your fox is truly beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gracia, what an exciting new blog this is. I love collective nouns and will be watching with delight I'm sure, as you add and illustrate. Your fox is truly beautiful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm a murder of crows....... collective nouns are so visual in their description, especially collections of animals. I look forward to reading more. Lovely little blog you've added to your collection {I wonder what a group of blogs would be referred to as?} xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh gracia!!! this is utterly and completely fabulous--- LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fun project! congratulations, gracia, elaine and louise!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A troop of baboons
    a hill of beans
    A clump of trees
    Your right - they are poetic!

    ReplyDelete