GRACIA & LOUISE     FOLLOW     HELLO

Monday, April 21, 2008

A skulk of foxes.

Hello my fox brothers and sisters,

As a child, I loved Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr. Fox, and if I had a copy of it still (I borrowed it often from the school library), I’m sure I’d enjoy leafing through its pages today.
"Well, my darling," said Mr. Fox. "What shall it be tonight?"

"I think we’ll have duck tonight," said Mrs Fox.

"Bring us two fat ducks, if you please. One for you and me, and one for the children."

"Ducks it shall be!" said Mr Fox.
I am terribly fond of foxes, though most of the foxes I know come from the pages of books or fairy tales. From Yuri Norstein’s beautiful Fox and Rabbit (1975), a retelling of an ancient Russian folk tale, to Beatrix Potter’s The Tale of Mr. Tod (“He was of a wandering habit and he had foxey whiskers; they never knew where he would be next.”), foxes are clever, cunning and handsome, and their eyes glisten.

ЛИСА И ЗАЯЦ (Part I)




ЛИСА И ЗАЯЦ (Part II)




(An English translation of sorts can be found here.)

So foxes it is, a skulk of foxes to set this blog on its merry path. For those curious, a group of foxes can also be referred to as a lead or a leash of foxes, and there ends our English lesson. Roll on with the visuals, starting with Louise's white, silver, red and blue foxes which have been fashioned into fur garments.

Louise_fox2
{Wishing we were still a skulk, I. Watercolour and pencil drawing, Louise Jennison.}


Louise_fox1
{Wishing we were still a skulk, II. Watercolour and pencil drawing, Louise Jennison.}


The_door_was_open1
{The door was open but we decided to stay (detail). Digital collage, Gracia Haby.}


Skulk_of_foxes2
{I don't think we're all of us going to fit in there. Digital collage, Gracia Haby.}


Elaine_fox1
{A happy band of skulkers. Pencil drawing, Elaine Haby.}

Elaine_fox2
{Looking for a fat hen. Pencil drawing, Elaine Haby.}

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Gracia on your new blog foray - the concept, writing and pictures are delightful

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't imagine anything better!
    i have a particular fascination for foxes too.
    and nurstein's fox and rabbit was my favourite too... i assume you have, or have seen, the masters of russian animation dvds?
    i think i will be liking this blog a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. foxes foxes foxes! i love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. I love all of these foxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must send it to my mom, she loves foxes, and she has drawn quite a few just like your mom! Lovely work xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the animations, beautiful work from both of you (*I especially love the title 'I don't think we're all of us going to fit in there'.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful videos. Foolish fox should have known better but what delightful animals they all were. Love this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love love love love!!
    Tiff*

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful new project. I'm keen to see what collective noun you take on next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love these foxes you have all come up with.. beautiful collaboration. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful!!!! i love foxes too, hence tinyred's trademark :)
    really cool project too! love it all!!

    ReplyDelete